Thursday 28 August 2014

Homework

Classified Revision Exercises in Spanish (George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd., 182 High Holborn, London WC1; 1932)


Exercise 1 (Definite and indefinite articles)

He said that truth was the most important thing.
He gave me such a look that I went into another room.
More than a hundred friends went to meet Mr Lopez.

The curious thing is that he himself did everything.
The children who understood raised their hands.
He put on his gloves and went out.

Exercise 2 (Adjectives)

His younger sister is very inquisitive.
The climb (la subida) is very long and very difficult.
A very important thing has just happened.

The third speaker spoke seriously and sadly.
He showed me a hundred jewels, all of great value.
None of the other speeches equalled the first.

Exercise 3 (Times, dates, etc)

I saw him at a quarter to four.
What time was it when he left? It must have been about 5 a.m.
I want to go away at twenty past seven.

Philip the Second died on September 13th, 1598.
He did it on Monday, August 1st.
He goes to Madrid on Thursdays.

Exercise 4 (Time, weather, etc)

I wrote to him a little time ago.
It’s a long time ago that it happened.
He’d been ill for three days before they sent for the doctor.

He said it was very hot, but I was cold.
In windy weather, one may lose one’s hat.
Owing to the fact that they had worked hard, they were hotter than we.

Exercise 5 (Negatives)

Haven’t I already done it?
My sister didn’t buy any flowers yesterday.
Nothing new has happened.

He swore he would never do anything of the sort.
I have no books; nor do I want any.
He doesn’t like it; nor I either.

Exercise 5 (Correlatives, etc)

He was not so ugly as his brother.
We need as many knives as forks.
It isn’t as hot as it was last summer.

The task is becoming more and more difficult.
More than three of my books are missing.
The black horse has won more races than it won last year.

Exercise 6 (Ser and Estar)

His house was of brick (el ladrillo) and was very high.
The streets are dirty because it has rained a lot.
Everybody is tired tonight.

Where is he now? He is still in the same house where he has always been.
Who is it that is calling us? It is we.
Most dogs are faithful animals.

Excerise 8 (Pronouns: objective)

Don’t do it now; do it later, please.
He went to meet me at the station, but I did not see him.
Don’t talk so fast, my son; I can’t understand what you say.

I didn’t tell them, because they knew it already.
Don’t speak to me in that way; speak to me more politely.
I have told it to your father, but not to your mother.

Exercise 9 (Pronouns: relative and interrogative)

I spoke to the doctor’s wife, whom I had already seen often.
Our neighbour, whose son you liked so much, has gone away.
He lost the sword with which he has killed so many enemies.

What did he give you when he came in?
What book do you mean? He didn’t give me any.
Which of the sailors came with you?

Exercise 10 (Pronouns: possessive and demonstrative)

I have found your handkerchief, but now I have lost mine.
A cousin of his has broken his leg.
His translation is worse than yours.

He washed his hands and put on his gloves.
His house is bigger than this one, and mine is bigger still.
The man with the black beard did this.

Exercise 11 (Subjunctive: general use)

Let them try to do this, if they think they can.
Do it at once, and don’t tell me it’s impossible.
Come here: don’t sit down on the chair.

I am sorry that he was not able to come.
I advise you not to come back too early.
Has anyone ever done a thing that seems so stupid?

Exercise 12 (Sequence of tenses)

I don’t think he will arrive tomorrow, nor the day after either.
Ask him to go off a little way off from the window.
My friends do not believe I am capable of doing it alone.

I was looking for a child who could read and write.
They all denied that they had seen the deed.
Their father did not want them to stay away from home too long.

Exercise 13 (Subjunctive and infinitive contrasted)

I hoped I would find them in the dining room.
I fear I shall be the first to arrive at the party this afternoon.
Everyone was afraid of not arriving in time.

I wanted them to finish it at once.
They were unwilling to speak to the others, or for the others to speak to them.
I want you to write to me every week.

Execrise 14 (Subjunctive: conditions)

If he stays there no more than a week, we shall not see him.
If you will open the window, it will be cooler.
If there is no snow in the mountains, it almost always rains.

If they had both gone together, it would have been easier.
I would have written to you, had there been another post.
If I told you I had done it, would you believe me?

Exercise 15 (Subjunctive: impersonal exptessions)

It is possible that my brother is the author.
It is doubtful if he means to marry.
It was important that they should do it at once, wasn’t it?
It is a pity that there has been so much rain.

It was not yet certain that there had been a revolution.
It seemed probable that there had been an accident.
It was obvious that no one was paying any attention to him.

Exercise 16 (Subjunctive: conjunction)

He passed without seeing us, and without our seeing him.
Provided he does this, he can take everything.
In order that his army might escape, the general sacrificed himself.

As soon as he saw me, he asked when I would go.
Tell him when he comes, that I knew he had lied to me.
We ought not to go until he comes back.

Exercise 17 (Subjunctive: whoever, whatever, etc)

Wherever you may be, don’t forget to take money with you.
However you travel, you must go quickly.
Whoever he may be, speak to him politely.

However cold the water may be, I am going to bathe.
Whatever shoes you wear, they must be strong.
However many mistakes you make, I shall not be angry.

Exercise 18 (May, might, etc)

Ask her: she may know.
It may be true; perhaps he did it.
Go now; maybe it will rain later.

He said they might do it at once.
May they take two apples each?
Each man may do as he likes.

Exercise 19 (Must, ought, should, etc)

I never thought I should have to do that.
According to the papers, he had to tell them everything.
I shall have to light the lamp as soon as I return.

Instead of playing, you ought to work a little.
He would not do it, and said we should have done it ourselves.
Please look for my stick: I should be sorry to lose it.

Exercise 20 (The passive, etc)

All the officers were killed by the enemy.
It is to be feared such things will be seen again.
What he had written was still to be seen on the blackboard.

They were in the act of doing this when I came in.
She is tired of always being surrounded by servants.
The platform was deserted when I arrived.

Exercise 21 (Reflexives)

As a rule, the word is spelt in this way.
He was much surprised, so they say, on hearing this.
They did not think it could be done so easily.

When their aunt entered the room, she was told the news.
The horses were heard in the stable.
The dog was seen wandering alone though the town.

Exercise 21 (Reflexives and reciprocals)

We don’t love one another, do we?
She did it herself, without my helping her.
I prepared dinner myself, while he was dressing.

He was sitting in an armchair, and soon went to sleep.
It was getting darker and darker, and finally we turned round.
I don’t dare stand up while he is sitting down.

Exercise 23 (Adverbs and conjunctions)

It would be something to know where we are going to.
He received me most kindly, and invited me to dinner.
He ran as hard as he could.

I spent the afternoon not sleeping, but writing letters.
I can see nothing on this map except a few rivers and islands.
Call them petals (el pétalo) or leaves, it’s all the same to me.

Exercise 24 (Prepositions, etc)

Look for him outside; he’s not likely to be under the table.
He was standing in front of the blackboard at the time.
He was upstairs when I saw him last.

I will go with you as far as the village, if you will will dine with me first.
He was always very good to the unfortunate.
I am tired of working without achieving anything.

Exercise 25 (Para and Por)

He went to meet them so that they might not lose their way.
She got up early so as to milk (ordeñar) the cows and goats.
Come and see me in order that I may tell you what to do.

I believe he bought this for me, but it will be useless.
There will be no prize for those who can’t swim.
As for me, I have not even playing cards for the party (la tertulia).

Exercise 28 (Measurements, etc)

These woollen stockings are eighteen inches long.
It is more than a thousand kilometres from Paris to Madrid.
They have built a wall seventy yards long and twenty feet high.

There is only half an hour left, and I have not done half my task.
Three-quarters of an hour later the play finished.
He lost half his money in the shipwreck.

Exercise 27 (Exclamations)

How splendid it would be to able to do that!
How much I meant to do, and how little I have done!
How badly your brother writes!

Would that we had already arrived!
Unfortunate people! They got wet to the skin.
I wish to goodness that man would stop talking!

Exercise 28 (Special verbs)

I didn’t think my bag would hold so much.
Tell him to bring it up; I don’t want to come down now.
Go up and tell them breakfast is ready.

It will be your turn when I get back.
Having dropped my pen, I can’t write any more.
He won’t miss you so much now that he can speak Spanish.

Exercise 29 (Some important words)

He was sitting in an armchair near the fire.
He was already seated when I was just sitting down.
A complete stranger asked me for a cigarette.

You can walk if you like, but I am going by car.
I have heard they are going to be married next week.
I did not realise what subject was going to be discussed.

Exercise 30 (Miscellaneous notes)

He found more books than he had lost.
I agree to their doing this when we’re gone.
I insist on this lesson ending now.

He complained little, but he didn’t seem well.
I have seen them all, and they all want to come.
He welcomed most politely all who came.

No comments: